A*STAR is seeking an experienced Principal Investigator to lead the Sensory Science and Ingestive Behaviour Research, as part of the Clinical Nutrition Research Centre under the newly formed Singapore Institute of Food and Biotech Innovation (SIFBI).
The PI position will lead research on Human Sensory perception, Consumer preference and Food intake behaviour within SIFBI as it relates to nutrition, health and new product innovation. The Sensory group interacts closely with the other technology pillars1 at SIFBI to provide support to new product development, ingredient and processing innovation and the impact of sustainable technology solutions to consumer acceptability, nutrition and well-being.
The candidate will lead a team of Sensory and Nutrition researchers based at the Clinical Nutrition Research Center, and will contribute to SIFBI?s overall corporate strategy. The appointee will develop strategic programs of research to ensure competitive and industry-relevant Sensory research activities are supported with sustained funding, and will integrate sensory, consumer and ingestive behaviour measures, interact with the taste receptor platform in order to integrate the SIFBI portfolio across the value chain, nurturing close collaboration with researchers within and beyond SIFBI, and the wider A*STAR family. In taking the lead of the Sensory team at SIFBI?s, the goal is to enhance consumer-centric research focused on Singapore?s national research priorities including Singapore 30/30 vision, innovation in alternative proteins, and applications of new food, and to support the ongoing publication of high quality original research to further enhance SIFBI?s standing in the field of sensory and consumer science.
The level of responsibility will be dependent on the candidate?s experience, and the primary responsibilities include the following:
· Provide expert scientific leadership in formulating a strategic focus for research in sensory science and consumer behaviour relevant to SIFBI?s industrial and competitive research grant funding, and aligned with national research priorities.
· Develop research that integrates sensory perceptual measures, taste receptor platform into ongoing research in food science, processing, food structure, nutrition and fermentation.
· Act as a member of the SIFBI senior leadership team and contribute to SIFBI?s research portfolio and strategy where appropriate.
· Work closely with industry and academia to actively and strategically forge collaborations, build and manage relationships with industry stakeholders to promote stronger collaboration.
· Develop new ideas and project plans that drive the development of sensory, consumer and eating behaviour research in Asia.
· Attract, recruit, supervise and mentor scientific personnel (Research Scientists, Fellows, Graduate Students and Officers).
· PhD in either Nutrition or Food science/technology or other complementary science disciplines with a sound background in Sensory and Consumer Science, Food Psychology and eating behaviour.
· Minimum 10-12 years of post-PhD experience working with different industries or in academic research involving industrial partners.
· Extensive experience with planning and executing studies to better understand the role of food properties, sensory characteristics and psychological factors that influence food choice and intake.
· Lead with expertise on eating behaviour methods and the design and execution of research studies to understand food intake. Critically analyze, interpret and draw conclusions from scientific studies in the field of human nutrition and food intake behaviour.
· Coach and develop junior staff in the appropriate scientific and statistical methodologies and in the interpretation of data. Ability to work in a multi-cultural setting.
· Proactively collaborate with Scientists within A*STAR to develop interdisciplinary research that combines behavioural and physiological approaches to understanding human food intake.
· An analytical mind-set with great problem-solving abilities to translate research findings to industry outcomes.
· Excellent communication skills with prior experience in cross-disciplinary team management and engagement of multiple stakeholders.
· Experience and track record of peer review publication and presentations in the leading international.
1 Technology Pillars at SIFBI include: Discovery, Strain Engineering, Biotransformation, Nutrition, Food Processing, Safety and the Shared Analytics teams.