Assistant Head/Senior Officer (Joint Planning, Planning – Research and Statistics Unit)
A*STAR directs and undertakes mission-oriented research to transform Singapore into a knowledge-based and innovation-driven economy. A*STAR’s Planning Directorate coordinates A*STAR’s strategic planning and corporate planning activities, and is the key interface with A*STAR senior management and other public sector agencies on strategic planning matters within and beyond A*STAR.
We are looking for a passionate and motivated individual with strong analytical abilities, who can think strategically to chart future R&D directions and yet be grounded in the details of quantitative data analysis.
You will play a key role in charting A*STAR’s strategic directions, co-ordinating division- and nation-wide R&D issues, as well as gathering intelligence on current R&D challenges and future requirements applicable to Singapore’s R&D landscape. You will have ample opportunities to interact with A*STAR senior management directly, and with a range of government agencies, including at the senior levels.
You will also be expected to develop a deep understanding of R&D policy and its wider impact on Singapore, being closely intertwined with various facets of policy making such as healthcare, education, manpower and economic development.
Specific to the Research and Statistics Unit, you are expected to:
- Spearhead the annual National Research, Innovation and Enterprise (RIE) survey of Singapore by guiding and training a team of survey staff who will conduct the survey; and provide direction on all survey-related enquiries
- Streamline and increase automation of work processes
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of the survey data based on best practices
- Partner policy and economic agencies in the discovery of new insights and trends from the RIE survey data to support policy making
- Provide statistical support to A*STAR management and all relevant stakeholders including Whole of Government agencies, international organisations, and members of the public
- Possess knowledge in Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or subjects with substantial quantitative content (e.g. regression, analytics, etc)
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to learn and apply relevant statistical and analytical tools and techniques for data compilation and analysis
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite. Experience/knowledge of statistical software (e.g. SAS, R, Python) preferred
- Able to deliver results under tight timelines
- Good communications and presentation skills
- Able to work well independently, and as a member of the team
- Fresh graduates with good aptitude and software/analytical skills are welcomed to apply