A*STAR directs and undertakes mission-oriented research to transform Singapore into a knowledge-based and innovation-driven economy. The Research and Statistics Unit resides in A*STAR’s Planning and Policy Division, and spearheads the annual National Survey of Research, Innovation & Enterprise. The survey supports the Singapore government’s formulation of national Research, Innovation and Enterprise (RIE) policies and strategies.
We are looking for a passionate and motivated individual with strong analytical abilities, who can think strategically to chart future R&D directions and yet be grounded in the details of quantitative data analysis.
You will play a key role in contributing to Singapore’s RIE ecosystem strategies, and will be co-ordinating with other government agencies (in particular the National Research Foundation and economic agencies in the ecosystem) on nation-wide RIE issues, as well as gathering intelligence on current RIE challenges and future requirements applicable to Singapore’s RIE landscape.
You will also be expected to develop a deep understanding of R&D policy and its wider impact on Singapore, being closely intertwined with various facets of policy making such as healthcare, education, manpower and economic development.
At the Research and Statistics Unit, you are expected to:
- Spearhead the annual National Research, Innovation and Enterprise (RIE) survey of Singapore by guiding and training a team of survey staff who will conduct the survey; and provide direction on all survey-related enquiries
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of the survey data based on best practices, using detailed data checks and established estimation methods
- Streamline and increase automation of work processes
- Partner policy and economic agencies in the discovery of new insights and trends from the RIE survey data to support policy making
- Provide statistical support to A*STAR management and all relevant stakeholders including Whole of Government agencies, international organisations, and members of the public
- Possess knowledge in Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or subjects with substantial quantitative content (e.g. regression, analytics, etc)
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to learn and apply relevant statistical and analytical tools and techniques for data compilation and analysis
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite. Experience/knowledge of statistical software (e.g. SAS, R, Python, advanced Excel functions) preferred
- Able to deliver results under tight timelines
- Good communications and presentation skills
- Able to work well independently, and as a member of the team