With deep fundamental knowledge in areas such as lipid chemistry, oil refining, lipid fractionation and controlled crystallization processes, the candidate will use scientific principles and expertise to provide solutions to improve functionality, enhance nutritional profile and contribute to the development novel food system and applications. Knowledge of green chemistry is a plus.
This position is to also provide leadership in both traditional and new plant/microbial lipids to deliver strategies that enhance the organoleptic, nutritional and cooking characteristics of lipids. He/She will provide science-based approaches and data-driven insights to address technical challenges in product formulation, concept prototypes manufacturing and quality.
The successful candidate will be instrumental in coordinating cross-functional collaboration with researchers within the Discovery, Strain Engineering, Biotransformation, Nutrition, Food Process Engineering and the Shared Analytics capability groups in SIFBI.
The appointee is expected to develop strategic cross cutting programs that will enhance the reputation and international standing of A*STAR and SIFBI, with a focus on national needs (Singapore 30/30 vision), alternative proteins and applications of new food technologies.
The candidate is also expected to contribute to high quality original research publications in reputed international journals.
Level of responsibility will be dependent on the candidate’s experience. Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Integrate, direct and oversee SIFBI’s lipid chemistry/technology research portfolio
- Provide domain expertise in lipid chemistry as applied to science, engineering and manufacturing
- Identify and support multi-disciplinary collaboration and programme development
- Establish close internal and external partnerships with the customers, industry, and academic collaborators
- Establish relationships with stakeholders, across multiple government agencies including regulatory authorities and with professional organizations (such as the Singapore Food Agency) specific to science and technology areas of interests
- Provide scientific leadership in formulating strategic food research directions, programmes and grant development, including securing relevant industrial and competitive research grant funding, to achieve the goals of SIFBI
- Develop intellectual property and commercialisation strategies
- Build cross-functional support when appropriate and develop project plans to drive development and implementation
- PhD in either Food Chemistry, Food Science, Biochemistry, Physical or Organic Chemistry or a similar field with a strong background in lipid science and food
- Minimum 6 years of post-PhD experience working in various industries or in academic research involving industrial partners
- An analytical mind-set with great problem-solving abilities to translate research findings to industry outcomes
- Strong communication, interpersonal, influencing, and project management skills with prior experience in cross-disciplinary team management and engagement of multiple stakeholders
- Ability to integrate skills and expertise of highly motivated staff into multi-disciplinary teams as well as facilitating new opportunities
- Leadership style that engenders a positive collaborative culture, sustaining high performing and effective team
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural setting